The Stables in Meldreth Station Goods Yard

Photo:Detail of Meldreth Goods Yard showing the stables. (1925 - 35) Note the single stable door and the trees in the background

Detail of Meldreth Goods Yard showing the stables. (1925 - 35) Note the single stable door and the trees in the background

J Bishop, postcard

Photo:View of Meldreth Station Goods Yard 1925 - 35.  The stables are in the top left of the photo (see detail photo above)

View of Meldreth Station Goods Yard 1925 - 35. The stables are in the top left of the photo (see detail photo above)

J Bishop postcard

Photo:The Stables in 2010

The Stables in 2010

Tim Gane

Photo:Kathleen Winter with her mother Mildred in 1938 with 'Tom' one of the horses who worked in the Goods Yard.  Kathleen remembers having rides on Tom's back.  Note the signal box in the background.

Kathleen Winter with her mother Mildred in 1938 with 'Tom' one of the horses who worked in the Goods Yard. Kathleen remembers having rides on Tom's back. Note the signal box in the background.

Kathleen Murdon

Horses provided the motive power in the goods yard

By Tim Gane

The substantial brick building standing on Station Road by the turning into the station was originally home to the two horses who worked the goods yard.  They did most of the heavy work in the yard, moving the empty and loaded trucks and operating the two turntables. 

Kathleen Murden (nee Winter) remembers hearing the horses stamping their feet in the stables eager to get back to work.

To our knowledge there was never a resident shunting engine in the Meldreth goods yard; all the wagon movements were carried out by horses and main line railway engines simply delivered and collected the wagons. 

The stable doors have gone now and there is nothing to show this building’s original purpose.

This page was added by Tim Gane on 11/03/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.