Meldreth Manor House

Photo:Meldreth Manor House 1903 -1907

Meldreth Manor House 1903 -1907

Robert Clark

Meldreth Manor House on the corner of Fenny Lane and the High Street

By Joan Gane

Meldreth Manor House has a history going back several centuries. It is thought that in 1558 there was a building situated on the current position, at the corner of the High Street and Fenny Lane, adjacent to Meldreth Stocks. The site was owned by Thomas Sterne. The present red brick H shaped building was built around the early 17C.  

Pre 1558 the land was part of the Manor of Streets (Stretes) and the ownership often changed hands as seen in the time line shown below.

 

HISTORY TIME LINE

  • 1086 Guy de Raimbeaucourt owned held over 4 hides in Meldreth, much of which was later held as copyhold of Argentines and Trayles in Melborn. The rest of the land was eventually divided between the Manors of Street, Vesseys and Flambards, all dependent upon Argentines.
  • 1223 Sibyl, widow or Robert de Banks, claimed dower in certain lands in Meldreth.
  • 1235 Alexander de Banks held land there.
  • 1302 Robert Banks (or Baunz) held 1/3 fee in Meldreth, presumably of Argentines. This was  passed to William of Hemel Hempstead.
  • 1318  William held ½ knight’s fee in Meldreth of John de Argentine.
  • 1327 William died.
  • 1339  Land  passed from Thomas Legat to Roger Legat and Roger’s son Edmund.
  • 1448 Baunz land was held by John Street who also held LegatLand,  this formed the reputed manor of Streets, which was occasionally styled Legats. John Street was succeeded by by Henry Street whose daughter Joan married John Ansty, and by their daughter, also Joan, wife of William Alington, perhaps the younger son of Sir William who died in 1440.
  • 1494 Joan died, childless, her heir was her sister Elizabeth, wife of WilliamTaylard.
  • 1558 Sir Laurence Taylard (perhaps their son)  and his son Geoffrey sold the manor, then including land held by Topcliffes to George Gill of Sheene Manor.
  • 1700  the current red brick H shape Meldreth Manor House was built by Thomas Sterne of Malton.
  • Various owners between 1770 to mid 1800’s when it fell into a ruined state and became 3 tenements.  
  • The house was then returned to one house by 1896
  • 1896 Mackenzie Charles Butlin with his wife Adelaide.(House owner JG Mortlock)
  • 1905 George Shortland Lowe and  his wife Emily Elizabeth. George died there in 1909.( House owner JG Mortlock)
  • 1916 Resident John Williams
  • 1918 Owner JG Mortlock  possibly still owned the house.
  • 1922 Owner-George Jebb until 1945.
  • 1945 Col. Singer lived there.
  • 1964 Bought by the Spastics Society (now renamed Scope).
  • 1967 School built for severely disabled children and opened 25th October 1967.
  • Two other owners also mentioned by Bill Wing (Snr) were Dr Mead King and Dr Williams. Dates not confirmed. 
This page was added by Joan Gane on 11/07/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.