Public Houses and Brewery in Meldreth

There have been a total of seven public houses in Meldreth over the last 150 or so years.  Today there is just one, The British Queen.  There was also a brewery which stood near the church which ceased brewing in 1920.  Click on the icons below to find out more.

Page link: Beery Snippets from the Past
Beery Snippets from the Past
Some interesting Facts and Figures of Meldreth's Bygone Drinking Habits
Page link: Jarman's Golden Ale Brewery
Jarman's Golden Ale Brewery
- stood beside The Green Man, close to the church in North End, Meldreth
Page link: The Green Man
The Green Man
- North End. Adjacent to the old Jarman's Brewery
Page link: The Sailor's Return
The Sailor's Return
- North End, Meldreth, now a Private House
Page link: The British Queen
The British Queen
- the only pub left in the village
Page link: The Railway Tavern
The Railway Tavern
The Railway Tavern was opened c.1858 and closed 101 years later in 1959
Page link: Peter Cooper's Memories of the Railway Tavern
Peter Cooper's Memories of the Railway Tavern
there were no chairs, just seats all round and then there was a little snug bar to the right hand side
Page link: Bill Wing's Memories of the Railway Tavern
Bill Wing's Memories of the Railway Tavern
a pint of bitter and a packet of Woodbines for two shillings
Page link: The Old Bell
The Old Bell
- High Street, Meldreth. Also known as The Bell and The Blue Bell Inn
Page link: The Dumb Flea
The Dumb Flea
- Chiswick End, Meldreth. Closed in 1956.
Page link: The Queen Adelaide
The Queen Adelaide
- Meldreth Road, Whaddon. With movements in the parish boundary, The Queen Adelaide PH has been in both Meldreth and Whaddon.
Page link: Ale House Tipplers, Unjust Measures and Refusing to Quit Licensed Premises
Ale House Tipplers, Unjust Measures and Refusing to Quit Licensed Premises
Keeping the Law in Nineteenth Century Meldreth Public Houses